Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Simple Spring Makeup

As much as I love playing with makeup and trying new things, sometimes you need to keep it simple. Over the past few months this has become my default look during the day. It takes less than ten minutes to put on, the layers are light for warm weather comfort, but there's still just enough sparkle to keep it fun. Added bonus? Without all of the extra colors and brushes this makes for a perfect vacation look that can be easily dressed up with a little eyeliner and a bolder lip.

My skin is crazy sensitive so you'll notice that I stick pretty closely to the same brands. I've been slowly adding some new pieces to my makeup bag, but after two years of painful allergic reactions (and their aftermath) I'm a little trigger shy. I have more freedom with my lip and eye choices, but after purchasing the Lorac TANtalizer set a few weeks ago I've become hooked on their gloss.

Preparation; My morning skin prep consists of a light mist of Evian Mineral Water Spray ($12) and a gentle massage of coconut oil. Lightly mist your face with the spray (or dab lightly with a clean washcloth and tepid water). Taking a dime-sized dollop of coconut oil in your palm, massage lightly into the skin. Finish off with another light mist.

Base; Using a buffer brush (mine is most similar to the Buff & Go Retractable Face Brush), brush on your base in small circular motions. I use bareMinerals Original Foundation in Fair ($27), but substitute with your base of choice. Using the same brush apply a light layer of blush to the apples of your cheeks. Also using the same brush, sweep bronzer over the bridge of your nose, top of your cheekbones, and your temples for a subtle glow. Here I'm using bareMinerals Blush in Beauty ($19) and Lorac TANtalizer Baked Bronzer ($32).

Eyes; Sweep a neutral, shimmery eyeshadow on your lid from eyelashes to crease. I'm using bareMinerals Glimmer in Queen Phyllis ($14), but the goal here is to find something close to your skintone to give your eyes a low-maintainence subtle shimmer. Apply a single layer of mascara to the upper and lower lashes. Here I'm using Lorac Cobra Mascara ($20). If you want to transition this look to evening, apply a second coat of mascara and some winged eyeliner for a bolder look.

Lip; I've been hooked on this pale peach shade from Lorac, Lip Lustre Gloss in Peach Lustre ($15), these past few weeks, but any pale pink or peach will give you the same basic look. I'll be doing a spring lipgloss round-up soon with some of my favorites because I can't seem to stop picking them up.

And that's it! I've been doing quite of bit of traveling this spring and that's really forced me to find a simple look that I love because carrying around my full makeup bag is not my favorite. What are your go to shades this spring?

2 comments:

  1. Love the pretty glow this look gives you! I'm definitely one to keep makeup as simple as possible in the warm months, too. I feel like I NEED that Evian spray! I'm more of a lipstick girl so my favorite spring shade is Rimmel's "Rose Blush" but I've been looking for a peachy shade so I'll have to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That spray is one of my favorite things ever. During the summer it's especially wonderful if you store it in the fridge for an extra burst of cool. I just looked up that Rimmel shade and it is so pretty! I love that shade of rosy pink.

      Delete