Pages

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Happy Weekend!

This past week has been utterly fantastic. I have so much to share with all of you, and so many photos to sort through still. Even the little things this week have been fun! From making paper flowers at work for a Mother's Day project to some new books for late night reading. The best part, though? Taking a road trip to Newport Beach. My mom and I have been talking about taking a girl's trip to the beach for over a year now and this was the week to make it happen. With Mother's Day last Sunday and her birthday two days later, the timing was just perfect. As was the trip. We were only there for two days, but it felt like ages. The perfect sort of vacation.

The wind was intense on our first day there, but we still spent some time at the beach. My favorite part though had to be the hotel room with the wall of windows that opened up to a beautiful view of the bay. I'm so thankful to be at a point in my life now where I can treat my mom to things she enjoys. This definitely won't be the last you'll be hearing about Newport Beach. I've got a fun DIY project and some travel tips to share this week.

In other news, I had my first wedding cake consultation on Thursday. I'm really excited about the concept they're going for and I'm excited to share the process over the next few weeks. While I don't know if I'd want to pursue cake baking as a full time career, this has been a fun learning process so far.

Some of my favorite things from around the internet this week...

Food52 consistently inspires me through their Instagram feed. Gorgeous.
• This farmhouse kitchen is so dreamy.
• With the weather heating up, this Honey Plum Splash looks deliciously refreshing.
• I am completely smitten with the branding for the Oyster Inn.
• With my float obsession still going strong, these Root Beer Float Shooters look as delicious as they are charming.

3 comments:

  1. Newport Beach sounds like the perfect place to be with all this warm weather!! Love those links :) that kitchen is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica,

    I'm not sure if this will actually show my name/e-mail in my profile, but this is Amanda King from the golden era of PS1 games and fluffy hair that was the early 2000's. We were good friends for a few years in Las Vegas but I think we last talked in 2004. I want to apologize for allowing our friendship to drop off. There's no excuse for it. It's easy to say "life happens" and leave it at that, but I was so self-absorbed when I was in my teens. And in my early twenties. And, um, probably now still. But you were a great friend to me and I will always appreciate that.

    A few years ago, I started google-ing all the people I cared about and I found your blog, Quirky Charm. But I felt like I couldn't reach out to you because of stupid, self-defeating reasons. So, like a creeper, I watched your blogs, dipping in and out every few months. I looked at your lists of goals and achievements and quietly tried making my own, but hilarious failure followed me everywhere. I looked at your photos and saw Vegas in a kinder light - less crassness, less sleaze, more light and possibilities. I felt inspired, but then the negative part of me chimed in and said "Really? 'Inspired'? Who says that outside of Hallmark cards? You can't tell somebody that, they'll think you're crazy or just lying to butter them up, or both."

    I'm sorry for approaching you so clumsily. I wanted to e-mail you instead of blorfing all this out in your blog comments but couldn't find an e-mail and my social media is set up to deliberately hide who I am. Maybe I'll luck out and this will go into a comment moderation queue and you can see it privately, ooof I don't know. I've had a very strange few years of moving a lot and mental health weirdness which made me feel like I didn't have anything to offer anybody, that any friendships I had would be unfairly lopsided - but I'm in a much better place now. I would very much like to be friends again if you would accept my craziness. I live in the SF Bay Area and make it out to Las Vegas at least once every year. My e-mail frecklebeast.inc @ gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Responding over email since I'm not sure if comments are notified over email, but oh my goodness I am SO EXCITED to hear from you!!

      Delete